On Being a Dentist
As a dentist, I am enjoying my return to my home town of Columbus, GA, and serving people from my own community. It’s truly an honor to be providing gentle dental care that improves the oral health and smiles of my friends and neighbors.
Being a dentist means I can help bring about positive changes in the lives of my patients. Whether I am helping patients get rid of pain, restoring their ability to chew comfortably and effectively, or improving their smile, they are going to be healthier and happier. I cannot imagine a more wonderful profession!
I followed my father, Dr. Henry L. Cook, Sr., into dentistry. Seeing the changes he was able to make for his patients, and the friendships that he developed with those in his care, was an inspiration. Now I spend my days doing what I love: caring for wonderful people.
My Education and Continuing Education
- Undergraduate – Spelman College and Columbus State University
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery – Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry
- Advanced education in general dentistry residency – U.S. Army Dental Corps
- AAID MAXI COURSE- Dental College of Ga Augusta University
- Fellow- Implant Dentistry
Continuing education (CE) is one of my passions. I love learning, broadening, and strengthening my skills and knowledge. With the constant changes in dental technologies and treatments, I must stay at the leading edge. My patients trust me to provide them with up-to-date care, and CE ensures I am able to do so.
Through participation in meetings and lectures, along with hands-on demonstrations, I learn from the leaders in oral healthcare. I’m active in several dental organizations and am president-elect for the Georgia Dental Society for 2015.
- SaMarc Dream and Achive Foundation- 2016 Legend
- 2016 Courier Community Service Award
- 2015 Columbus Times Keeper of the Legacy Award
- Georgia Dental Society Delegate 2014-2015
- National Dental Association Delegate of 2015-2015
- National Dental Association 2015 Board of Trustees
- National Dental Association Co-Chair of he New Dentist Conference
- 1st General Dentist to serve on National Dental Association inaugural President's Symposium
- Spokesperson for the National Dental Association Pew Charitable Trust Foundation
- Western District Georgia Dental Association delegate for the American Dental Association leadership conference in Washington DC
- Elected National Dental Association 2015 Delegate of the Year
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorotity Inc.
- Geogia Dental Society
- National Dental Association
- SaMarc Foundation Board of Advisors
- UNCF Columbus Campaign Steering Commitee
Family is my priority. Above all, I love motherhood. I am the proud parent of Jasmine Kiara, 23, and Jordan Cook, 12. I have a lovely grandson name Caleb,1 Theater, soccer, basketball, track and field, and a host of other activities keep me busy throughout the year. Being with loved ones, talking and laughing together, is my favorite way to spend my hours away from the practice.